This is going to sound a little dumb, but man, oh man, I want to know what my “aesthetic” is.
You know. Aesthetics. I want to know what colors, textures, images, fonts, and other pretty things truly embody the essence of who I am.
It’s why I’ve changed the header photo of this blog a million and a half times–I’m always on the hunt for the perfect image/color/icon/something that captures my voice, that sums up my tastes. I don’t ever seem satisfied. I’ll probably still change the header a million times more, even after this yet-another-list-like post aims to pin down my general aesthetic, my vibe, my brand.
I’ve never sounded more millennial.
Let’s get to list-making. Also, maybe we’ll make a mood board or two. That could be fun
We’ll see how this goes.
AESTHETIC One: Disney Parks (Specifically Magic Kingdom)
This is a no-brainer. Walt Disney World will forever be my most favorite place, so it’s no wonder I’m attracted to pastel colors, castles, popcorn, fireworks, that sort of thing. Let me try to capture what I’m talkin’ ’bout in a nifty little collage of pics found on multiple free stock photo sites and/or just Google Images or Pinterest or my old camera roll because why not:
Ok, finding those photos made me realize there are subcategories to a Disney park aesthetic, but this about captures the gist. I think.
Mickey Mouse, forever!
Aesthetic Two: Artsy Writer/Reader But not artsy in a moody way; artsy in a *cheerful* way
So. I write. I’m currently getting my MFA in creative writing, and I’ve had some small success so far with publishing some short fiction. It’s no wonder I love typewriters, books, blank pages, notebooks, books, more books, bookshelves, knick knacks on bookshelves, office supplies, and more. You get the idea:
Ok, in that little collage, I took three of the photos, so that’s impressive; maybe I know my aesthetic after all! Also, as you can probably tell, I really like wood–the color, the texture. Which leads me…
AESTHETIC THREE: DISNEY’S ANIMAL KINGDOM/TRAVELER/ECLECTIC/plants lol
I love Disney’s Animal Kingdom. Everything about it.
First, I used to work there. I was a character attendent and got to spend each and every day helping my Disney pals go on the best adventures. Second, I love Animal Kingdom’s overall atmosphere. The vibrancy of the colors, the smells of plants and soil and Flame Tree Barbeque, the park’s commitment to conservation, and the Tree of Life, an icon, a beauty. I love, love, love this place.
To be honest, all but one of these photos are my own, so you can tell I freakin’ love, love, love, love this place so much. Maybe this is my favorite of the aesthetics? Mabye?
But wait! There’s more!
Aesthetic Four: neon lights, calm, cool, artsty, dark
This one’s new for me, but lately I’ve been drawn to this aesthetic. I’m just going to drop a collage, because it’s hard to explain:
See? Totally random. I don’t have a good explanation to why I connect to the lights, the darkness. But I do? For some reason?
Aesthetic five: vintage things but not-too-vintage, maybe? ALSO VINTAGE DISNEY BECAUSE, *YES*
I LOVE vintage-y stuff. Like 50s/60s/70s vibes. I think it’s because I watched Mad Men for the first time this year. Also, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, a show set in the late 50s/early 60s, is just fabulous.
There’s just too much great TV set in the past, and those shows have influenced me in the best way possible, mostly because the shows I’m discussing feature women kicking you-know-what and taking names!
Also, I love vintage Disney posters/art.
To the collage!
So this collage is a hot mess, but you get the idea.
Also, I found the Peggy Olson print on Pinterest, and I just love it. Also, NO, I do not condone smoking (Peggy has a cigarette dangling from her mouth, you see). Remember, this was a different time! A different era!
i think i’ll stop there
As you can see, my tastes vary. The vibes I vibe with (gosh, do I sound millennial or what?!) differ across the board. As I look back, though, I think each aesthetic correlates with a different aspect of my life:
- Disney parks = my inner self, my spiritual self. I’m optimistic to a fault (for the most part). My public persona is bubbly, smiley, all-too-happy.
- Arsty writer/reader = my career, my goals, my aspirations. I love what I do, and these images remind me of what I am lucky to do each day. That’s cool.
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom = my home life. Would you guys be surprised that I have an entire gallery wall dedicated to DAK?! I own a succulent! I love natural wood! My pillows are bright yellow, and I want to acquire more textured pillows!
- The moody neon lights = I think this represents my work, my fiction writing. My stories are a little dark with flashes of humor, light. I think this is why this blog and my portfolio employs some of these images.
- Finally, the vintage = while I don’t really own any clothes from these eras or inspired by these eras, I find myself wishing I could pull them off. The structured peacoats = swoon. The sunglasses = adore. A good hat = need. Come to think of it, I have a few pieces like these, but gosh, I don’t know if I would be able to pull of an entire wardrobe like it. I wish, though. Also, I want a record player so badly, it’s not even funny.
Ok, now I’m really done. Thanks for stopping by and reading this blog post written entirely in the spirit of procrastination.
Christmas break is almost here, and I am so, so ready.