HOW DID I ALMOST GO AN ENTIRE SEMESTER WITHOUT WRITING? HOW?!?
I’ll tell you how. Grad school is BUSY. And I don’t prioritize well.
So. I thought I’d hop on the blog and chat a little, provide a casual update of my life, and maybe offer some sage advice. The advice thing probably won’t happen, but we’ll see. This space is not a space in which I plan my content. I have all of graduate school and my fiction writing for that. This space is my space to write what comes to mind as I go. It’s my free space. My happy place.
So. What’s new? Or what’s not new? Here’s a list of what comes to mind:
- I’ve got my adviser, my committee, and my plan of study APPROVED! I’m on track to graduate with my master’s in the spring of 2020 (my program is a three-year program).
- I think I have an idea of what I want to do after my master’s, but that’s not important now.
- I’ve given up eating bread for the most part, and for some weird reason, I feel like this has changed my life for the better. I haven’t given bread up completely (I love pizza and cheeseburgers too much), but I’ve cut back on the stuff quite a bit.
- I’ve started running again. I’ve been keeping track of my workouts on Instagram. It’s fun! I feel better!
- I’ve been planning/writing my thesis. It’s going to be a collection of short stories, and the thought of putting it all together before approximately February 2020 both thrills and terrifies me.
- I’ve almost read 50 total books this year! I’m hoping to get to 50 by the time 2019 rolls around.
- Teaching this semester has been a total dream. My students are FANTASTIC. I’m also more comfortable with myself as an instructor. I put stickers on their rough drafts and, I don’t know, I feel like myself when I lecture. It’s fun.
- I’m gonna end this list because I’m rambling.
In short, things are good.
Now for the advice, maybe. I’m not going to go into detail, but if you’re feeling down or unhappy about yourself (any aspect of yourself), make the conscious decision to do something about it. I’ve tried to do this over the semester, and I feel it’s working. I just feel good. It’s hard to explain, but really it’s simple. I’m doing good, feeling good.
Now that we’ve chatted briefly, I should get back to doing something about my to-do list. I have some stuff to get done by the end of the semester (obviously), so I need to actually go and do that stuff. T-minus two weeks until winter break, however. Ah. So excited.
I hope everyone and anyone reading this is having a lovely day. You’re great, I believe in you, and December is going to be your month. And, if it’s not, the next month will be your month. And the next. And so on.
You get the idea.
“There’s a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day.”-From Disney’s Carousel of Progress